Sandakan is known well as the heart of Borneo vibrancy. Ready to have a wonderful time admiring the natural beauty of pristine rainforest and its wildlife. There are so many things to discover while you’re at Sandakan district, it was indeed a perfect gateway for eco-tourism destination in Sabah. Sharing with you here a guide list of what BEST to do in Sandakan for you.
GO FOR NATURE AND WILDLIFE EXPLORATION
You’re probably a lot like us, dreaming of that perfect encounter with Borneo’s wildlife up closed. Experience the primates in their natural habitat feeding, nesting, hunting and every lucky moment of this surely shoots an adrenalin rush making your Borneo holiday tours an unforgettable moment!
We would highly recommend for you, while in Sandakan to make sure you do include these in your Borneo itinerary.
- Take a nature walk into the wilderness and meet our Man of forest, the Orangutan at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehablitation Centre (SOURC). Here you will learn and watch an educational video about these orangutans in Borneo and the never-ending efforts of the SOURC to rehabilitate orphan orangutans whom had lost their home from forest clearing. Highlight that surely make your day, is having to make your way to the feeding platform and be greeted by our wild-man of Borneo closed up!
- Take a Kinabatangan River Cruise, venturing into the second largest river in Malaysia! Hop in the boat and enjoy the thick pristine, lush jungle landscapes. Throughout your ride stand a chance to spot some incredible primates, such as the Proboscis Monkey socialising and feeding on young leaves of the trees by the Kinabatangan River bank, langurs swinging from trees to trees, Crocodiles and if you’re lucky, you may get to experience a herd of pygmy elephants crossing the river!
- Dive and discover the ocean! Make your way here at the Selingan Turtle Island one of the most breathtaking beaches, set in the heart of protected marine conservation area. An ample down time during most of the day, allowing yourself to sun bask under the sun, to work on that perfect tan or simply have a lazy afternoon by the hut as the highlight of the trip is to witness these Green and Hawksbill Turtles coming up to lay their eggs on the shore (may even take up to late night), however a totally priceless experience.
LEARN THE HISTORY OF SANDAKAN
Discover the rich heritage of Sandakan! Wander yourself into a piece of Sandakan ancient past, which not to be missed are these three destinations:
- The house of Agnes Keith, a relic from a by-gone age of British colonial rule but kept well preserved, authentic and widely known for holding on so much history contained within her. In brief, this house provides an interesting insight about the life of Agnes and her family as well as the British North Borneo era. It was an ideal trip for those who enjoy history, walking down the memory lane of how Sabah came to shape today.
- Sandakan War Memorial, a beautiful park and well design memorial dedicated to the Australian and New Zealand prisoner of war soldiers, that who lost their lives under the Japanese occupancy during World War II. Therefore, it is one of the most important historical sites in Sabah. Yearly on 25 April, Anzac Day Dawn Service is observed here with the collaboration from both local communities and the Australian government.
- St. Micheal and All Angels Church known for being the oldest monument stone church in Sabah! The Anglican church itself is a magnificent relic from the past where you can enjoy its beauty while pondering its history from the British Colonization period in Borneo.
GETTING TO SANDAKAN
Sandakan is accessible by road from Kota Kinabalu that takes about 6 hours drive or simply by air domestic flights from Kota Kinabalu which takes about ( 40 – 45 minutes ) or Kuala Lumpur ( 2 1/2 hours ) with airlines such as AirAsia or Malaysia Airlines.
TRAVEL WITH OUTBACK VENTURE!
In any way, if you interested in visiting Sandakan on your upcoming vacay to Borneo, feel free to reach out to us. For more information, kindly click on the link attached to visit our Sandakan tour packages.